Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

my father's day was pretty quiet. it was me and the boys all day, margaret slept pretty much until she had to go to work. she was up most of the early morning hours with the baby so she needed to get as much sleep as possible before working her 3-11 shift. when i say the day was quiet, i mean in terms of "father's day" activity. it was just a father spending the day taking care of his two sons. it actually went pretty well. my 3 yr old was pretty good at listening, (as can be expected from a 3 yr old) and the baby was, well, a baby. lots of feeding, changing diapers, more feeding, more diapers and little naps here and there. of course i was pretty spent by the end of the day. being caregiver and entertainer for two kids for an entire day can wear you out!





i'm so grateful for my children and still have a hard time believing i have kids. when i found out that we were having our first i was determined to be very involved in his daily life and i think i've done a good job so far. when our second child came into the picture i was a little worried i wasn't going to be able to give him the same quality time the first one received. well, that hasn't been the case and i'm grateful, tired too, but grateful. as they get older i hope to keep that mentality and will be as determined to be involved in their activities. it's been an adjustment not being able to go the gym whenever i want to or play basketball as much, but it's worth it. they've helped me to look at myself and to temper my selfishness, so i'm not thinking about "me" first as much as i used to. it wasn't a bad thing before (the selfishness), cuz they weren't here, i'm just glad i have the heart to lose out on those "me" things and not let it frustrate me too much. i still have areas to work on, but who doesn't. the best thing right now is that my 3 yr old comes running to me full speed when i either pick him up from the babysitter's or when i come home. and the baby gives me a smile and watches my every move when i come home until i come and scoop him up. they're my pride and joy and more and more i don't know where i'd be or what my life would be like without them.

No comments: